Monday, May 12, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

I am so grateful I got to talk to you all yesterday! It really was a great day!  I love and miss you all!

I had to give a talk in church, and let's just say it was a big slice of humble pie. I am totally going to study more this week!



I want to share an awesome experience with you all that I had this week! We went out with some of the Young Single Adults on Saturday to find some less actives and invite them to the activities. We left at 11 and didn't have any success. By 6 o'clock I was so frustrated as we had prayed and fasted to be able to find a family to teach.



We decided to hit one last name on the list. Here in Mexico not all of the houses have numbers so, it's kind of a hit and a miss. We found the name and started walking down that street, one of the Sisters knocked on a door and no one answered, we moved on to the next one and nothing. The next house was a horrible looking tin shack. We decided to give it one last shot and we yelled Buenas Días! and waited. Nothing. We decided to call it quits, and just as we were walking away we saw a dirt covered little boy. We stopped and started talking to him when his Grandma answered the door, with a knife. She was just sharpening it...yikes.  :)

She asked us who we were and why we were there. We told her that we were members and missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Her eyes lit up and she invited us in. We were searching for her kids and she told us that they didn't live there, but that she was a member too, and that she was raising her 4 grandsons.  As we walked in her yard I saw 4 dirt covered shirtless boys, they all stuck their dirty little hands out and gave us a hand shake.

I have never been in a poorer house in my life. There were so many animals running around everywhere, and they don't even have a floor, just dirt. I felt so sad for these people. We sat down and immediately the members started talking to her and asking her questions about her life. Her husband died and left her with very little money, and then her son left her with four kids 10, 8, 6, and 4. She doesn't have time to work because she is always taking care of the kids. We decided to give them a book of Mormon and a pamphlet. When we handed the book and pamphlet to them the little boys eyes lit up, and the 10 year old started reading it to his siblings in the back room. I smiled so big! I couldn't believe my eyes.

We invited them to church and the Grandma said that they would come because they needed it in their lives! At Church yesterday we didn't see them in sacrament meeting and I was so disappointed but, they came for the last two hours! I can't tell you how happy they all looked. The little boys all ran up to me and told me how their classes went and how fun they were. I know that the Gospel is going to change their lives! We are going to do everything we can to get them help and to share with them our testimonies!

They really are an answer to my prayers! I am so amazed at how much our Heavenly Father really loves us! I am constantly surprised at the faith of the members as well. WE wouldn't have found them without their help. They seriously jumped right up at the opportunity to share the Gospel and to help others! We are going to visit them this this Wednesday with a handful of members! They all want to help and we are so excited!

I know Heavenly Father answers our prayers and is always watching out for us! The field really is white to harvest! We just have to have faith and go out and find! I encourage you all to pray to have a missionary moment this week, whether it's to share your testimony with someone, invite a less active to church, go visiting teaching, or home teaching, share a talk or scripture on Facebook, or send a text to someone whose struggling with life, whatever it is just do it! Then email me at elise.riedelbach@myldsmail.net or write me a letter with your experiences. I want to hear what you are all doing,don't let the work move on without you!


I love you all and am so grateful for your testimonies and for all of the support! 

Have a wonderful week!


Hermana Riedelbach

P.S. another bird pooped on me today. I don't understand, I am like a poop magnet. :)
And it is SO hot here...I am dying but, on the plus side we do have fancy fans to cool us down.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment